Here are my personal rankings with words on my selections. The accumulated Top 25 is over at FutMexSource.
- Chicharito Hernandez - His goal drought ended with a golazo. It came after he crept closer to Borgetti's scoring record during the international break. The Chivas product has been consistent all season long and deserves the # 1 spot. Stat: 1 goal every 111 minutes for a total of 25...so far.
- Andres Guardado- Barring a Rafa sighting, El Principito is Mexico's captain and his play constantly reminds us why that is so. His play with PSV has them on the brink of repeating as Eredivisie champions. STAT: Has 2nd highest assist total in Eredivisie with 9.
- Miguel Layun- He has gone from playing in England's 2nd division to being linked with Real Madrid. Layun has kept his play up all season but that has led to a ton of minutes. He is Mexico's unquestioned starter at LB. STAT: Has 23 combined Goals + Assists this season (Watford/Porto)
- Hector Moreno- JCO has called him one of the best left footed CBs in the world. I am probably biased but his play has backed that claim up. Moreno has shown even more versatility by playing well at LB for PSV this season. STAT: 6 goals this season.
- Hector Herrera- The early season struggles appear to be long gone for HH. Unfortunately for him, Porto has struggled this season to meet expectations. HH is the de facto captain and his play has improved throughout the season. Expect him to start at Copa America for Mexico. STAT: 1 G+A every 215 minutes
- Jesus "Tecatito" Corona - I am on the Tecatito hype train, I have been for a while. The only problem I have with him is his consistency. He needs to string more solid outings together, the talent is there. STAT: 21 career goals in Europe
- Jona Dos Santos - Villarreal are currently in a Champions League spot and still fighting for a Europa League title. Jona is a big reason for both. He is currently injured but will be back to help Los Submarinos make a final push for a Champions League berth before going to Copa America with El Tri. STAT: 87% Pass Completion in Europa League
- Carlos Vela - An up and down season for Vela continues. Signs are pointing up for Vela as his play has improved but his conduct off the field is not helping. Still one of Mexico's more talented players but in JCO's squad, talent alone wont get you a starting spot. STAT: 6th in fouls suffered per game in La Liga
- Javier Aquino- Many questioned his move back to Mexico after a subpar year with Rayo Vallecano but he has produced at one of Mexico's marquee clubs.The formation change at the national team also improves his standing with El Tri. STAT: Has 15 Goals + Assists this season for Tigres.
- Diego Reyes - The start of the season was a good one for Diego but a red card and a coaching change led to him riding the bench for a bit. Eventually, the new coach tried him out in the midfield and Reyes has flourished. He's now starting at CB but his added flexibility is a plus for club and country. Real Sociedad does not have a buy option on his loan, this will be a big summer for him. STAT: 5th in Interceptions per game in La Liga
Where did I go wrong? Let me know in the comments.