clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Chivas' Marco Fabian Regrets Celebration, Reveals Tragic Past

Getty Images

Chivas forward Marco Fabian travelled to the violence-plagued Ciudad Juarez Thursday to make a plea for forgiveness after his tasteless goal celebration last weekend, and donate one million pesos to an institution that helps orphans.

Chivas fined Fabian and teammate Alberto Medina 50,000 pesos each for performing a mock execution in a pre-planned goal celebration after Fabian scored on Saturday against Estudiantes Tecos.

Fabian, considered one of Chivas' brightest talents, also revealed for the first time details about the murder of his 23-year-old brother, as well as his regret at not having thought about the consequences of such a celebration before carrying it out.

“His friends came by the house for me, they honked the horn, he ran out to get in the car with them and left to never return,” said 22-year-old Fabian on the brink of tears. “That day marked us forever.”

“We never got any explication, or justice,” he continued, not saying when the event happened. “We found him massacred in a ditch; they'd killed him.”

“My respect to Mexico, for a Mexico free of violence, for the Jonathans that have left thier houses and never returned and for the mothers and siblings of the victims,” Fabian concluded.

Chivas owner Jorge Vergara joined Fabian in Juarez to deliver the one-million peso (74,000 US dollar) check to a foundation dedicated to help children that have been made orphans by the violence associated with the drug trade.

Fabian and Medina were initially fined 50,000 pesos each, but voluntarily doubled it. The rest of the money came from Vergara, other Chivas players and members of staff.

Fabian is expected to play in the Estadio Azteca on Sunday for Chivas against archrivals America.

Violence has invaded Mexico's football realm recently, especially following the shootout outside the Estadio Corona in Torreon on August 20th which caused the match between Santos and Morelia to be cancelled after 40 minutes.

A campaign designed to keep football free of the drug trade-related violence was launched after the Torreon incident.